Monday, April 12, 2010

My garden bed is ready to go!

Yay! My husband slaved all Sunday afternoon and made me a garden bed! I'm so excited to start growing some fruits & veggies this summer!



Here are some plants I definitely want to try growing this year:

peas
green peppers - maybe red and yellow too
strawberries
radish
cucumber
egg plant
tomatoes
raspberries - these will have to grown outside the garden bed...and won't be "ready" for a few years

Let me know if you have any suggestions for me. I'm new to this...in fact....Jeremy picked up some reading material today on starting a garden, and I also reference the Iowa State horticulture extension website A LOT.

I guess Sunday was a BIG STEP closer to my dream of living off the land...here we go!

3 comments:

  1. Sounds wonderful! May I suggest some more from the squash family? Could be fun for some homemade squash pies! Something that my Grandma would make! Better than pumpkin!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Strawberries take a long time to establish, you have to have a dedicated spot and they grow there every year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heather - I LOVE squash, that is a great idea...was just worried it would take too much space in my raised bed. Maybe I can plant them out back of the house. If all else fails, I always buy a bunch at the Kroul Farm.

    ReplyDelete