Thursday, July 15, 2010

The Art of Preserving Herbs

My neighbor was kind enough to let me take some cuttings from her oregano patch. That night I made a pasta dish, but didn't want the rest of the herbs to go to waste. So, with some help from my good friend Google, I was able to combine bits and pieces of advice on how to preserve herbs. Here is what I came away with and it worked out great (and easy too)!

The first step is to gather the stems of the herbs you cut and place them upside down into a paper bag (one that you cut several slits in for air movement). Wrap the top of the paper bag around the ends of the stems and tie a string around all of it to keep them hanging in the bag without dropping to the bottom. Then, hang the bag upside down for at least a week. Once the herbs are dry, chop up the dried leaves (or stems too depending on the type of herb you have) and place in an empty jar for later use.


Have any of you tried drying or preserving your own herbs? If so, please let me know if you have any alternative methods!

~ Lindsey

No comments:

Post a Comment