Friday, June 4, 2010

Oversized lounge pillows

I know, it has been over a MONTH since my last blog. I'm sure all my blog fans are so disappointed - ya right! Here is what I've been up to....

I was lucky enough to come across some extra large (30"x30") pillow forms at Hancock Fabrics at half-off! Every family room needs extra large lounge pillows for movie night and to add a little cushion barrier from the stone fireplace for the kiddos.

Since I didn't use an already developed tutorial for these....yes...I really did make these using my own imagination. The idea is so simple, I'm sure the instructions below will make expert sewers laugh uncontrollably...but I wanted to share for those that are new to the sewing world. So, for all you novice sewers who read my blog (ha, who am I kidding!?), here you go:

I cut two square fabric pieces - both about 1 - 1.5" wider than the dimensions of the pillow form.
Since my pillows were extra-large, I used 24" long zippers - I wanted to make sure I could take the covers off for washing....with kids, everything needs to be washable. :o)

My first step was to fold over and iron down one side for the zipper:



I then sew the zipper to both sides of fabric (as you can see, I chose to use different fabrics for each side of the pillows).






After I sew the zipper on, I then turn the fabric pieces so right sides are facing each other. With zipper open, I sewed all around the outer edges of the cover. When finished, turn right side out and insert pillow form.
Here is a photo of the pillows turned over...

No comments:

Post a Comment